28 Jun When Should I Replace Old Electrical Wiring?
It is time to think about replacing old electrical wiring in the home if your house is 40 or more years old. Even though your appliances and devices seem to work without any apparent issues, exposed wires or frayed insulation materials warrant an immanent inspection. The certified electricians at Mister Sparky Minneapolis will check to make sure your wiring meets or exceeds current local and/or national codes.
When an expert Mister Sparky electrician comes to your home, we perform a safety inspection with every service call. Home safety is a top priority at Mister Sparky and we take our job to protect homeowners very seriously. Electrical wiring is the number 1 cause of house fires and we work hard to keep your home protected and up to code standards.
You have worked hard for your home and all the irreplaceable belongings in it. Often a home fire can quickly become a total loss of the property, when it gets out of control in an instant. We want to keep your family and belongings safe for generations to come.
Faulty electrical wiring in your home is a hidden and ever present dangerous situation. Electrical wiring problems can be hidden just out of sight behind outlets, leaving you clueless to the potential accident waiting to happen.
According to the National Fire Data Center, approximately 25,900 electrical fires occurred in residential buildings between 2009-2011. To avoid the possibility of your home being at risk for these alarming statistics simply contact Mister Sparky Minneapolis for a professional safety inspection.
Here are some examples of electrical problems requiring professional attention.
- Limited wall receptacles requiring excessive use of extension cords
- An insufficient breaker panel
- Outdated breakers
- Loose connections
Pay special attention to warning signs indicating you may be experiencing electrical issues in your home. If you smell a burnt odor near an outlet, electric stove, television or any electrical device, your home could be in danger of a potential electrical danger. Fuses that often blow out in your home are another red flag occurrence signaling potential electrical problems.
If your home still has an old-fashioned fuse box Mister Sparky recommends you replace it with a modern circuit breaker panel. An updated circuit breaker system is more efficient and will provide a more adequate amount of electricity to meet the demands of your contemporary electrical load.
Other Warning Signs of Potential Electrical Danger include:
- Lights that constantly flicker
- Tingling fingers every time you touch your kitchen range or other appliances
- Outdated two-prong electrical outlets
- Damaged switches
- Exposed electrical cables
- Unprotected wire connections
Questions about Aluminum Wiring
The most common material used in homes since the early 1900’s is aluminum wiring. Many homes built in the 1970’s and earlier are often at risk for fire due to improperly installed or old electrical wiring. Aluminum wiring has a typical life expectancy of about 30 years. It is sometimes a danger because the wiring warms up as current is running through it. Connections between the wire, devices or aluminum wire splices has cause enough heat to melt and potentially catch fire.
If you suspect your home still has its original electrical wiring or you experience any signs of electrical issues, call Mister Sparky of Minneapolis for an in-home safety inspection. We are trained to identify any problems with your wiring and we always provide written straight forward pricing with any repair recommendation.
Mister Sparky Electrician, America’s On-Time Electrician, serves the Minneapolis and St. Paul MN area with a team of certified electricians. In addition to emergency electrical repair, some of the electrician services provided by the company include electrical outlet/switch repair, ceiling fan installation, lighting installation, aluminum wiring repair, landscape lighting installation and home electrical inspections. Call us today at (612) 827-2788 to schedule an appointment!